Sunday 25 August 2013

A mega weekend of music on your doorstep !

I am just about to set off to the Adam & Eve pub in Mill Hill for an evening with legendary guitarist Alan Warner. Alan has played with legendary soul outfit "The Foundations" since the 1960's. Admission is free and it will be a great night. This will be the fourth gig I've been to in three days. On Friday night, we went to Kenwood House to watch Suede and British Sea Power. It was a fantastic setting and a great show. Brett Anderson was on top form. There can be few nicer ways to spend an evening than listening to music in the grounds of such a beautiful place with the one you love. It is rather magical.

On Saturday night, I played host to two excellent up and coming local bands at Mill Hill Music Complex. Hamptons are an excellent rock/pop band, headed by documentary film director Charles Honderick. Checkout their track "Peace" - I believe it is a classic


He is an excellent singer and frontman.  On friday, the band will open the Brownstock festival. I predict great things. The other band are Mill Hill Rockers "The Rock and Roll Sons" lead by Fil Ross. They are a heavy but melodic rock band, again picking up widespread interest. They were featured in a radio show on Friday in Newcastle and took over the show for 40 minutes ! If you like your rock and roll they are a band to keep an eye out for. They have a string of local dates booked.

This lunchtime, I went to the Highgate Jazz Festival to see the Scott Hamilton/Alan Barnes Quintet. This festival is staged by Bradely Allen,  a talented Sax player and customer of mys studio. We were official sponsors. The show was at Lauderdale House on Highgate Hill, another excellent venue. It was a most pleasant way to spend Sunday afternoon and the fun continues tomorrow.

People sometimes say that nothing much happens round here. I beg to differ. I have seen some excellent music on my doorstep. You just have to know where to look !

1 comment:

AndrewEvansMusic said...

I know Alan quite well. I played rhythm guitar to his lead a few times as part of the Bobby Graham Band. Great guitarist (and he'd always let me take the odd solo!).

Saw Rufus Wainwright at Kenwood a few summers back. Great setting!