I've seen dozens of emails suggesting that all and sundry launch legal actions against Mr Coleman.Sadly though, I have come to the conclusion that what Brian Coleman really needs is professional help. One of my friends and avid reader of this blog is a psychiatrist. He is deeply worried about the behaviour of Brian Coleman. We had a long chat yesterday about Mr Colemans shenanigans. He believes that Coleman is in a state of denial about his career and his prospects. In a sense, he has had a bereavement. He has lost the thing which was most important in his life - his political power and status. There are five stages of bereavement. Coleman is in the first - denial. This is given away in his strapline on twitter
Long serving Totteridge Councillor - Former Mayor - True Conservative - Methodist Rotarian - Anti EU - TotteridgeLook at the emphasis. Coleman knows he's very likely to be out on his ear next May as a Consevative. He says he's a "True Conservative" but his own party kicked him out. Sadly for Mr Coleman, "True Conservatives" pride themselves on such standards as abiding by the law and refraining from beating women up. Perhaps the funniest bit for me personally in the byline is the bit which says "anti EU". The sheer hypocricy of Brian Coleman is displayed here. Back in 2009, when I took Brian Coleman to the Standards Committee for abusing me, his defence was that I was infringing his human rights, as guaranteed by the European Court, in objecting to him using his public office to abuse me.
Brian Coleman also lists being a Rotarian (Details of the Barnet Rotary club here - http://www.rotary-ribi.org/clubs/homepage.php?ClubID=761 ) . What does the Rotary club stand for? This is what their website says:
- FIRST. The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
- SECOND. High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying of each Rotarian's occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
- THIRD. The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian's personal, business, and community life;
- FOURTH. The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
Furthermore, Rotarians are encouraged to take the "four way test" to ensure they meet these ethics
(More details about Rotary International and these principles here - http://www.rotary.org/en/AboutUs/RotaryInternational/GuidingPrinciples/Pages/ridefault.aspx )
The Four-Way TestThe test, which has been translated into more than 100 languages, asks the following questions:
Of the things we think, say or do
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
So let us look at how Brian Coleman reacted when arrested by the Police. He gave a completely fictitious account of the incident. When challenged in Court, after the CCTV footage was reviewer, his lawyer said "The video footage does not tie up with Mr Colemans recollection of events".
Mr Coleman claimed Helen Michael attacked him. He claimed she left him scratched and bleeding. Lets see how this statement ties in with the Four Way Test
1. Was it the Truth? Nope, it was a pack of lies. He was exposed in court as a pathalogical liar, as he'd spent five months lying and telling everyone (including fellow Rotarians presumably) that he was innocent and Helen Michael was a nutcase who'd attacked him. He only stopped because the CCTV footage exposed this.
2. Was it fair to all concerned? Ms Michael had hate mail, anonymous messages pinned on her door and was even shunned by some members of the Greek Cypriot community, whom Brian Coleman had lied to her about.
3. Did it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS? Helen Michael has had to endure all manner of whispering campaigns as a result of the assault. One Tory Councillor, who's family have been lifelong friends has completely shunned her as a result of the incident. Furthermore, Coleman has continued the campaign of lies about Ms Michael, recently spouting a whole new set of porkies on the Ian Dale show.
4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned? Well if anyone thinks that Helen Michael has benefitted from being beaten up, lied about and harrassed, then they are quite frankly on another planet to the rest of us.
You may wonder why I make such a big issue of the principles of the Rotary Club? I am not a member of the organisation, but my Father was for many years. He constantly praised the organisation for the good works and charity they do in the community. Brian Coleman is using the organisation as a smokescreen, a veneer of respectability, in pinning their name to his strapline. Their is no aspect of his behaviour that I can in any way see as compatible with the standards and ethics of the Rotary Club. Furthermore, he is associating the Rotary club with all of the petty vendettas and insults he is hurling. Of course Brian Coleman is entitled to say what he likes, but he is doing it specifically under the title of "Rotarian". I think that this is bringing the organisation into disrepute. As I am not a member of the Rotary Club, I am merely passing an opinion, but I cannot believe that an organisation which sets such high standards, could possibly want its name used as a merkin for a man with more axes to grind than the Vikings.
Most organisations stipulate that members should not bring the organisation into disrepute. By putting Rotarian on his strapline, then launching a stream of abuse, Coleman has dragged the name of local Rotarians through the mud. It is squalid, shameful behaviour and if the Rotary club gives a damn about preserving its reputation in the London Borough of Barnet, then they should have a word with Mr Coleman ASAP and kick him out. Colemans ever worsening behaviour will doubtless continue to see further embarrassment and I cannot believe that the Rotary club wants to be seen as part of the problem.
I must say that I don't believe that the vast majority of Rotarians condone the actions of Brian Coleman and I'm sure many will be horrified to find that they are being tarred with that particular brush.