Monday 20 June 2011

Every day, someone somewhere is trying to murder you !

I spent a good part of Thursday afternoon helping the Police with their enquiries. No I wasn't discussing the shenanigans at Barnet Council with Metpro, or even being taken to task for one of my numerous sins. I had noticed someone behaving in, shall we say, a rather suspicious manner in central London. Whilst I have no idea what the person was up to, lets just say that it was clear that whatever they were up to could potentially have implications which would not be positive for the people who live and work in London.

Sadly we live in a world where many people believe that attacking unarmed civilians is a legitimate means to whatever their political aims are. Living in London means that we are in a City which historically has had more than its fair share of terrorist incident. I've personally witnessed the carnage from several bombings at close hand, most recently on 7/7 when I was on the no 30 bus behind the one which got blown up. I saw dazed survivors staggering around, my first reaction being "bit early in the morning to be so pissed".

Whatever the reasons people want to blow us up, it is never the decisionmakers who bear the brunt of random attacks on civilians. I fundamentally oppose these wherever they take place. I believe them to be totally opposed to the teachings of all main religions, specifically Judaism, Christianity and Islam. I believe in Peaceful, non violent protest as the way to achieve political aims. I don't support armed force in all but the most extreme circumstances (ie Against an expansionist despot such as Hitler).

Anyway, I am writing this blog because I believe that it is vital for us all to keep our eyes and ears open. I don't want someone to blow me up as I walk down Fleet Street. I don't want my kids to be blown up as they buy a burger at Burger King. I don't want my friends to be blown up as they go to work. If you see someone behaving in a manner which you think could indicate they are involved in terrorist activities, here's what you should do.

http://www.met.police.uk/so/advice.htm

We don't live in a perfect world, we don't have a perfect government and we as a nation have not got a great history of how we deal with other countries. Having said that, none of this gives the people who are sitting around right now trying to think of way to kill and maim us an excuse. I write a blog as I believe there are plenty of things wrong in the world. It is my way of doing what I can to change things. If like me you see something which makes you think someone may be engaging in activities that could lead to someone getting hurt, I'd advise you to take positive action to prevent that from happening. It may be that what you've seen is trivial. Let the experts decide.

No comments: