Friday 18 March 2011

Bizarre attempt to deselect Mike Freer MP for being Gay falls at first hurdle

Perhaps the most truly bizarre story to come out of Finchley and Golders Green Conservatives recently is the attempt to have Mike Freer MP deselected because he is gay. A rather strange and rambling email was sent to members of the Finchley and Golders Green Conservative Association, demanding Freer's deselection on grounds of his personal sexuality.

Now I personally could give you half a dozen good reasons why Mike Freer should be deselected, but his private life isn't one of them. I am pleased to say that the attempt failed, as the Conservative member who circulated the email quickly realised he was in a very small minority (by all accounts of about 1). Sadly I suspect that the person who organised the campaign has "issues". Let me reproduce the first line of his email

Dear All,                                                                      14/03/2011

At the Annual General Meeting I shall propose that Mike Freer should resign his position as Member of Parliament. I know that that I am making a futile gesture but it has to be made. I accept that Mike was a very good leader of the council and is a competent constituency MP.

I don't want to reproduce the rest of the email as it was clearly homophobic and inciteful. The person leading this campaign claimed that he was mislead about Freer's sexuality. I found this rather strange as Mike Freer has been open and honest about the fact that he is gay and in a civil partnership. If anyone had been interested enough to find out, they easily could have. When I was canvassing in the last Council elections, no one asked me what my sexuality was and I see no reason why it matters. That Freer had been open about it, surely was the end of the issue.

I am not going to name the person who sent it either, as I believe they need help, not public humiliation.


The initial email was followed yesterday by this :-


Dear All,                                                   17/03/2011
  For the good of the party I will resign membership at once. I regret the e-mail which was produced with the best of intentions but clearly has upset many people. It was a major failure of judgement and my departure is completely necessary. I remain a staunch supporter of the party and express my goodwill and best wishes to all members in the future.

Some principles are more important than party politics. It can only be for the greater good that this rather bizarre attempt to oust Freer was so convincingly stomped on and that the person leading the campaign was made to understand that such behaviour is not compatible with belonging to a serious political party. For once I applaud the Conservatives for giving the person responsible such short shrift.

5 comments:

baarnett said...

While accepting the whole of the serious argument against this individual, for the reasons given, and fully commend the prompt local Party's reaction, let us not neglect his statement:

"I accept that Mike was a very good leader of the council, and is a competent constituency MP"

which shows there are OTHER signs of him being on another planet, as well.

Anonymous said...

That's the first time I have read anywhere that Mike Freer was in a civil partnership. I've not seen the reported anywhere or on his website or campaign literature.

You must have some inside information there Rog. Were you on the guest list?

Rog T said...

Dan,

Shame on you, I thought you were an avid Guardian reader, check his CV :-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/feb/03/mike-freer-easycouncil-interview

Rather strangely, my invitation got lost in the post (or so Mike told me).

If you want to keep up with what our local Tories are up to, you really should subscribe to a proper paper.

Jaybird said...

I would deplore anyone suggesting that Mike Freer should stand down because of his sexuality.

Whilst we are on the subject of homophobia, I am extremely disappointed to see that the draft regulations for the Equalities Act 2010, due to come into force on 5 April are now being completely watered down, so that the Act will be unenforceable and meaningless. A new consultation has now been issued and I hope that Mr Freer, and other local MPs will add their voices and ensure that the regulations are strengthened again.

APML said...

His private life has nothing to do with his job of work,so i deplore this pathetic individual who circulated that email....!!

Carry on Mike!!!!