Sunday 21 November 2010

The Pope agrees that condoms have a role to play in the fight agianst AIDS

Of all the stories I expected to see in the media, this one was probably the last one. The Pope has stated that in some circumstances it is responsible to use Condoms. For members of the Roman Catholic Church, this represents a sizemic shift in his stance. This story is of huge interest. It may surprise you to know that a blog I wrote on the subject is the second most popular blog I've written.

http://barneteye.blogspot.com/2009/05/annie-lennox-pope-and-condoms.html

Over 10% of all hits on this blog are visiting this particular entry. I've no idea what anyone thinks of my views as no one has ever left a comment. That is a huge amount of hits. So what does it mean, the Pope having changed the official church position so radically. Well for English Roman Catholics, I doubt it really means very much. When I was a child, most families had huge numbers of children. I'm one of six and two of my first cousins had 10 in their families. Any visit to a Catholic Church on Sunday will soon reveal that we've all become less procreative. I've never asked, but it is pretty clear that Londoners followed Cardinal Heenans advice in the 1960's when asked what he expected his flock to do in respect to the Pill. When asked Heenan said that it was an issue for the individual and their conscience. I suspect that most Roman Catholics are at ease with their conscience, whatever they do in this respect.

What about the wider world. Sadly I doubt it will make too many people adopt condom usage, even in the specific example given by the Pope of having sex with a male prostitute. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong and people heed his advice and always use one in such circumstances. What it will do is it will remove one excuse which men have used to persuade women (and other men) to take risks.

It is also a strong sign that the Church and this Pope are mindful that the world has changed. All religious leaders should make their primary mission on Earth, one of promoting peace and tolerance. I think the most interesting aspect of the Popes comment and one which hasn't been picked up by any comment I've seen, is the fact that he is not condemning gay sex involving male prostitutes. He's actually urging them, in measured tones to be responsible. I wonder how this will go down with the extremist "God hates Fags" brigade?

I'm sure people will have all manner of views on this. People who hate the RC church, will no doubt find something to hate about what he has said. For me, it is a welcome sign and one which hopefully will have a positive effect on the fight against AIDS and the fight against intolerance. That can only be a good things.

The BBC do a pretty good write up on the subject here :-


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11804943

No comments: