Friday 5 November 2010

My Pride in Londons Firemen - Local Tory confirms Coleman is no end of an ass !

Ok, hands up how many people would walk into a building which is on fire to rescue another human being?

Hands up how many people would walk down a tunnel towards a tube train, which has been blown up and may have other bombs on it?

Hands up how many people would try and douse a fire which may set off Aceteline welding gas, which would go up with the force of a medium sized bomb?

These are all things I've seen London Firemen do. I doubt anyone joins the fire brigade to let people burn to death. Today the Firemen called off their 47 hour strike to engage in talks chaired by an independent body. Some commentators see this as a sign of weakness, I see it as confirmation that our London Firemen are a class above the petty minded bosses who are trying to impose all manner of tawdry cost savings measures on the staff.

I've heard various people in the Fire Brigade management describe the FBU as dinosaurs for opposing shift changes, but how many people, especially families with childcare issues, would happily agree to suddenly work completely different hours. Most readers of this blog will work 9-5 jobs. If your boss suddenly said "We want you to work from 2pm till 10pm, Monday to Friday, because it's better for the business" would you? Of course it's always easier when we are pontificating about other peoples arrangements. I know a couple of firemen and they tell me that if the new changes are brought in, they will face huge extra costs and disruptions as their wives will need to change working hours, get additional childcare or even change jobs. We arrange our lives to suit work. It's OK if you are like the Chair of the Fire Service, Brian Coleman, on £114,000 per year with no kids and living in a subsidised home. If you are like my friends, every extra hour you need childcare costs you a fortune.

I don't know a single fireman who wants to strike, I know plenty who feel they have to. I was talking recently to the mum of one. I've known her for years and she's a lovely old lady. She knew of my standards case against Brian Coleman and started to tell me exactly what she thinks of him. I was shocked as she turned the air blue. I hope Londoners appreciate the fact that they are lucky to have such people in public service.

In Great Britain we have a long history of "lions lead by donkeys". When I look at he London fire brigade bosses, I must say that I think calling them Donkeys is being extremely generous and very unfair to donkeys, otherwise known as Asses.

I asked a leading local Tory if he thought Brian Coleman was like the back end of an Ass. He replied "No, of course not". I happily agreed. I then asked if he was like the front end of an Ass. Again he said "No, why would I say such a thing". I then said "I'm glad we're in total agreement that Brian Coleman is no end of an ass". He found that quite amusing but asked me not to name him, as apparently "Lynne Hillan doesn't really do jokes".

No comments: