Thursday 11 November 2010

Funding Higher Education

As it seems that everyone wants a debate about higher education, lets have one. My views are quite clear. I believe we should raise income tax to fund higher education. I've no idea how much of a raise would be required to abolish Tuition fees and reintroduce grants, but lets just say I'd consider this sort of taxation an investment in the future. I do however have a couple of caveats on this. Firstly, I believe too many people are going to University. I don't think that these people should be chicked on the scrapheap at 18, but I'd prefer to see maybe 15% of the people currently going to University doing apprenticeships with engineering companies and the like. There is a real skill shortage in these areas and I don't believe that the current system is addressing these. I would make these apprenticeships "Practical degrees" with the same status.

I also believe that many courses are a complete waste of time. I'm not talking about Arts courses, which encourage creativity, but some so called practical courses are not fit for purpose. I see this in my own line of business all of the time. I've interviewed many students who have done degrees in Sound Engineering over the years. Invariably the students haven't got a clue how to actually run a recording session. I ask them what they learned on the course and often they can't tell me. Our recording operation was set up by a graduate, but one who had not studied the subject. She was a superb engineer because she was prepared to learn. She now works as a live VT editor and earns a fortune. She had never run a mixing desk on the day she turned up, but put the studio together, with assistance from the rest of us. Many students with degrees turn up for interviews and the first part of the interview consists of them asking why we haven't got this, that or the other software or gizmo which they've used on their course, the second part of the interview consists of them telling us why they don't know how to mic up a drum kit and the third part of the interview consists of them telling us why they wouldn't be interested in recording the type of stuff which pays the rent - "Oh, actually I'm really only interested in Jungle and Drum n 'Bass". When you tell them that recording jingles for telephone systems or parties for 11 year old girls to record singing to kareoke discs, is the bread and butter which pays the rent, they often inform us "I'd prefer to work for  a proper recording studio", not realising that the commercial world ain't like that. Many are also completely lacking in the people skills required to deal with stroppy musicians. If I was running a sound engineering course, I'd have a module where people worked in a drug or alcohol rehab centre for six months. This would prepare them for a career in recording where you can be stuck with very objectionable people for weeks on end (of course most of our customers are lovely, but the ones that aren't really aren't). I once did a recording for a Soul band from Essex, their manager told me that "The singer has decked every engineer we've ever worked with". I explained exactly what would happen if this occurred. Strangely enough, the singer did punch someone. It was a girl in the band who played saxophone, at which point he was ejected from the studio and banned.

Anyway, that's my views on education. I didn't go to University and I don't regret it. My good lady did and got a degree in Russian Studies. Properly funded by taxation, more apprenticeships and a focus on making practical degrees fit for purpose. If I was an MP, which I'm not and  I don't want to be, I'd not vote for anything which didn't conform to that. I think MP's need to discover their testicles and vote with their consciences. Unlike many people, I'm not shocked. Most parties don't rate having principles as high on the list of attributes for selection. I'm actually more shocked when they rebel.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you've said above. I lived through the 1970s when going to University was taxpayer funded. There was a feeling then in society that anybody could have an intelligent child that might one day go to University and that therefore there was no harm in paying a small proportion of their wages towards funding it. That has been lost and now it's me me me and if you want it you pay for it without being able to see the wider benefits to society.

Intelligence is randomly distributed. We are not racehorses, we do not breed to transfer genetic traits down the line, the next Einstein may be the son or daughter of a dustman or a doctor, it matters not, the difference is with the present arrangements there is a danger that the former may be put off applying.

The fact is that the wealth distribution has tipped so far towards the super rich that their contribution is no longer available to fund higher education and the repeated rises in NI instead of income tax have resulted in the unfortunate situation that people feel more taxed but in fact it is now weighted further down the scale because NI is on payable on earned income whereas income tax is payable on both earned and unearned income (interest on savings).

This is not nostalgia wishing for the 70s again, there were many things wrong then, smoking everywhere for a start, and strikes, but society then was fairer and we need a dose of that now.

Don't get me started on right to buy.

Moaneybat said...

"and now it's me me me and if you want it you pay for it" but I would suggest, because "there is no such thing as society." Guess who was reponsible for creating all that. Conservatives, also responsible for the emigration of manufacturing industry. However it is many of that 70's generation of Blair Brown including a local boy, Mandelson, of re-defined Labour, as Roger pointed out in a earlier blog, did nothing including the "Right To Buy" other than sell of the family gold to support the increase of a new industry -- consultancies. What do they produce in contrast to the tigers whom own our industries like Jaguar and Rover and whom, are by being touted for business ironically, by todays Conservative leader.

If we listen to the Conservative Government and their LibDem butlers current blag, it's little different to the first years of New Labour only this time, given todays CDS (Clegg Duncan-Smith)promotion, it should be music to many of their graduate generation who will definitely see the fairness of having their Jobseekers Allowance withdrawn should they refuse to clean toilets in another part of the country. Will their children afford going to the 1st class university or the the 2nd class?

Single Aspect and Rog,it's a great shout but I'm sure our intellectuals could come come up with beeter ways of abolishing unemployment in the technological throwaway age.

Anonymous said...

I was discussing the education of the NEETS recently with an Open University tutor in Cambridge. She said that the problem at the local vocational college is that the students are obliged to take written exams at the end of each course which puts some of them off because they have practical and not academic skills.
I can see her point. If you are a hairdresser, a cook or a car mechanic and you can demonstrate your skill to a high level is there a need for hours of written exams?
I think the wider question at present if technical colleges are setup, and by the way I am all in favour of this, is in what subjects? How can we tell now, in advance, what skills will be in great demand to bring us out of the recession?

Broadway Blogger said...

BRILLIANT blog post Roger - had to laugh at the story of the Essex Soul band. I have 3 degrees but working in music has really been an education in itself. Just knowing theory is great but the people skills in music dealing with inflated or deflated egos are immense. Some big stars I have worked with have been a joy - some have been really shy - and like you there are always some people who are crazy. One really quiet band played for me and their guitarist tried to nut me at the end of their set ( Only hitting my baseball cap and probably hurting himself ) and totally out of character according to the band - passion can sometimes be really weird. He packed away and nothing more was said and I asked security to give him space - I was not hurt and have no idea why he did that - a really cool blues band from East London as well.......

I agree totally we should fund education from Income Tax and it should be free. It was free for me - and it should be free now for today's students. It is investing in the future - and yes it should involve degrees in Practical subjects as well.

Moaneybat said...

It's a question for Gove the Gob whom always sounds like nutcrackers have got his.

What did happen to Paddington, Willesden and Southgate Techs. I do know what happened to Hendon Technical College.