Saturday 20 November 2010

Fantastic Day !!!!!



"Anyone own the car outside and fancy earning £100?".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I was accused yesterday of being a miserable sod. Was this by someone who knew me pretty well? Yes, someone who knows me better than anyone. Regular readers will ask how could such a charge be aimed at someone so full of joy and happiness as me? I've always thought of myself as a happy and cheerful sort of person. Always the life and soul of the party. It seems like I'm wrong. It seems like I'm a grumpy curmudgeon who is never more happy than when I'm miserable. How can this be?

Well Madam asked me yesterday if I fancied a family outing to watch the new Harry Potter film. I responded that I'd rather stick needles in my eyes. She said "The kids really want to go and see it, you're being selfish". I responded "Watching films isn't a social activity, you take them". I secretly hoped that this would be the option as I really fancied sitting in a pub on my own and drinking a few pints of Guinness. At this suggestion the charge of being a miserable sod was levelled. It troubled me. I realised that if I'd rather sit in a pub on my own and drink guinness than watch a film with the family, I must be a miserable sod. When my mum was alive, I'd nip in to see her every night after work and have a couple of pints of guinness with her. We'd chat about this, that and the other. For some odd reason, this week I've really been missing her. She died of a Stroke in August 2008. Since then, I rarely have a chance for a quiet chat and a nice pint of guinness. I've realised just how civilised the arrangement was.

For all my mums many faults, she was always good company when I visited. She had a massive stroke in December 2000 and after that tended to be a bit anti social with friends and even other family members at times. Strangely this never extended to me (apart from when she was very ill). Anyway I was asked today "If you could do absolutely anything in the world for 2 hours, what would it be?".

It's a difficult question. Night of passion with Uma Thurman - yep that would be good. What about watch Manchester City beat Manchester United 5 - 0. That would be even better. Watch England win the world cup? That would be great. Watch the Ramones play at the Roundhouse? Now you're really talking.

Strangely enough, and I guess it must be something to do with being a miserable sod, I suddenly realised that what I'd really like to do most, is what I did many times and never even appreciated. I'd like to sit down in my front room and have a couple of pints of Guinness and a chat with my Dad who died unexpectedly in 1987 and my mum. Such moments seem as nothing at the time, but once people are gone, you suddenly realise just how precious these moments were. About a year before my Dad had a heart attack and died unexpectedly, I had a massive row with him. We didn't talk for six months. My old business partner and friend, Ernie Ferebee (who also sadly died in 2001) took me to the pub one night and said "Sort it out, you never know when people will pass away. He won't live forever, so treasure your time with him". I was really angry at Ernie for having the nerve to interfere in a family matter, but when I sobered up, I realised he was right and made up.

Six months later my father was dead, but we were on great terms. The last time I'd seen him, I'd treated him to a curry in the Mill Hill Tandoori and we'd had a great night (mum had been away). I suspect that the day he died was the day I grew up. I was always grateful to Ernie for taking the trouble to put me right. That is what a true friend does. Ever since then I've tried not to bear grudges. I may be a miserable sod, but I'm not one who bears a grudge (for too long).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Readers may be puzzled by the rather odd quote at the start of this blog. The video is of Haircut 100 performing fantastic day in a 1982 video. The car in the film, the white triumph Herald ULN699F belonged to my sister Caroline. She was out in Soho and was asked the question. She replied "Yes, if I can come along with a few friends to watch the shoot". She'd paid £100 for the car so she was chuffed. I think we managed to drink the £100 before the end of the day. I guess I wasn't always such a miserable sod.

Have a great Saturday night

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Its funny because you are a miserable sod Rog - but one with his heart in the right place and one who I've come to love more as I get older. The miserable sod who braved a 12 hour flight with the flu to go to his nephews wedding, the miserable sod who always seems to make the effort and go the extra bit further. The miserable sod with admirable values in life. In fact I'm proud to call this miserable sod my Uncle :)

Dom

Rog T said...

Dom,

Thanks, appreciated

valblog said...

Hey, if you spot it youv'e got it; but youre OUR Miserable Sod, and we love you, and think the world of you. XX

Broadway Blogger said...

Another great blog- made me smile and made my week better.

Haircut 100 - remember seeing them at Hammy Odeon....great days.

caroline said...

Happy times in that car! BTW not wanting to watch Harry Potter doesn't necessarily make you a grumpy sod. My kids took themselves the 3 minute walk to our local cinema to watch it last night leaving me only too happy to stay at home and catch up on paperwork. I must be really antisocial, at least you were hankering after a drink with some of the best company that ever was :)

Unknown said...

This is a message for Caroline. My name is Donald Campbell and I also have an affinity with this car.
For years now I've been dining out on my story and the Haircut 100 car.
I am from the the island of Benbecula in the Outer Hebrides and one fine summer day in the early eighties as my brothers and I wondered what to do with ourselves this little white Triumph Herald pulled up at our house.
It was a bloke driving and he had a female passenger, the driver asked us if we knew anywhere good for fishing . He had made up our minds for us! We climbed into this famous little car and on the short trip to the fishing spot it was explained to us that the car was the one in the video. We were delighted! As you can imagine,we didn't see a lot of anything famous up in the islands! The couple (who's names are long forgotten) joined us and we spent a couple of hours fishing,to be fair the girl passenger did no fishing, she sat and read, perfectly content I may add.
So my question is, were you the girl?! Or were they the next owners? It was quite soon after the video was out so there is a chance it was you. That would be incredible. I'm not very good with computers so I wonder if you ever see this you could email me? campbell_d_a_@hotmail.com It's a long shot but I'd love to hear from you.
All the best, Donald Campbell.