Saturday 27 November 2010

Brian Coleman, Erotic enemas and Cheese and pickle Sarnies

Welcome to the Barnet Eye weekly roundup of news.

First stop, Brian Coleman central. Following Colemans latest outburst, even the normally apolitical Mill Hill Broadway blog has had enough of Mr Coleman - http://millhillbroadway.blogspot.com/2010/11/broadway-residents-call-for-brian.html - They have called for Mr Coleman to resign. We've been doing that for years here, we just hope that The Broadway blogger has more success with his campaign. Let's hope Coleman wakes up and thinks "Gosh, even the Mill Hill Broadway blogger doesn't like me anymore. I must resign immediately". I know it's cold here in Mill Hill, but I think we'll have to see similar temperatures in Hell before that happens.

Anyway, on to a completely different subject. You may have noticed the advert in the sidebar. These are placed by google ads. A couple of weeks ago, I spotted an offer I couldn't refuse there. It was "The Daily Deal" and it offered a heavily discounted dinner at a rather nice looking restaurant (some of us have to pay for their own dinners). Yep, I thought, it's free, I'll sign up for that. Anyway, having signed up, I've had all manner of offers, sadly none of them seem to offer nice cheap dinners at anywhere too convenient. In fact most of  the offers don't involve food at all. This week, there was much myrth in the office when the latest one arrived. It was a two-for-one deal on colonic irrigation. Not quite what I'd had in mind. It reminded me of an advert that used to be in the window of the news agent by Finchley Road Tube station. The advert was for "Erotic Enemas". Now I'm sure that some people go wild for such things, but it always struck me as a rather strange sort of fetish. In a drunken dare, I persuaded one of my friends to ring up and go along for one. In hindsight (no pun intended), he seemed a bit keener than maybe I'd anticipated. Sadly when he rung the number, it turned out that the service was no longer available. I suspect I'll be more circumspect in signing up for such offers in future.

Anyway, having put you off your lunch with that little anecdote, let's get back  to the big news in Mill Hill. The Adam and Eve reopens this week, on Wednesday under it's new owners. I wish them the very best of luck. They seem to be going down the dining route, but are committed to retaining the pub as a community pub. I wish them the very best. Their A la Carte menu is here -


- in my youth, fine dining at the Adam & Eve consisted of a pint of best and a cheese and pickle Sarnie. How times change.

It's been a sad week for me. I've buried one friend, Barry Worman and lost two others. I hope your week has been better.

No comments: