Friday 19 November 2010

Barry Worman RIP

I received some very sad news today. Barry Worman, Dad of Tim Worman (AKA Tim Polecat) has passed away. Barry was the first manager of the Polecats and guided them to their record deal with Mercury Records. He was also a top bloke in the true sense of the word. When I first got to know Barry, I guess I was about 15 and the Polecats were still called "The Cult Heroes". Whilst most of my friends Dads in the 1970's were rather aloof and distant figures, Barry was never like that. He was one of the boys. In the summer of 1977 I had a job painting my sisters flat in Hale Lane. Tims Mum used to work in the newsagents over the road. Barry would pick her up every day, but would always stop and have a chat. Over the next 33 years nothing ever changed. If I saw Barry we'd have a chat. It might be about music, local characters, Tims Career in music & film, other band members, people we'd bumped into, anything. Barry also used to work for a local chemist and would drop my mum's medication off for her. His first question would always be "How's mum getting on". The best thing about Barry was his pride in what Tim had achieved.

The last time I saw Barry was in Mill Hill Broadway. As ever we had a chat. he told me Tim was on the lookout for a certain Amp and could I keep an eye out. I saw Tim about a month ago and he told me Barry wasn't well. I just assumed that a guy like Barry would go on forever. Sadly I was wrong. He was a top bloke and Mill Hill will be a worse place with his passing. My thoughts are with Tim as I know his Dad was also his best mate.

1 comment:

Simon Clarke said...

So sorry to see this (a year on!). Barry was a lovely guy – I knew Tim when we were growing up in Mill Hill and was a regular visitor to Ellesmere Avenue. I last saw him at Tim’s mum’s funeral. Very sad...