Wednesday 25 August 2010

Burnt Oak Special Edition

I wonder how often our Tory elite venture down to Burnt Oak to buy their spuds. I asked John Hart this question as we awaited the result of the election. His response "I always buy my carrots in Burnt Oak and the 600 votes we got there won the election for Matthew Offord".

When David Cameron speaks of "Big Society" I always think of Burnt Oak. Small businesses thrive. There is a better variety of food on sale than anywhere else in Barnet, with two great fishmongers, a plethora of greengrocers, a market and all sorts of other small outlets.

There's plenty of other places worth checking out. The flower shop, the fabric shops, the restaurants (such as Mama Cass). If you want a haircut for your boys, there's Sids where it's £6 (unlike Mill Hill where it's a tenner). Sadly my favourite place, the Istanbul Express kebab house has gone. I've heard many snobs in Barnet deride Burnt Oak. Generally they have never done more than drive through it at speed.

1 comment:

Broadway Blogger said...

I totally agree that BURNT OAK is an excellent centre for Fresh Food. It is something that Mill Hill Broadway does not - there is a bit in M&S ( Overpriced ) and some in Iceland. We have an excellent Butchers on Mill Hill Broadway as well. I cant understand why we dont have a shop with a Fish Counter or a sizable fresh produce on Mill Hill Broadway.

Could it be that the rent and rates on the Broadway only allow for "high priced" items to be sold ?