Wednesday 7 July 2010

My first meeting as an elected councillor

We plant the seeds that one day will grow.
We water seeds already planted,
knowing that they hold future promise.
We lay foundations that will need further development.
We provide the yeast that produces far beyond our capabilities.

We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation in realising that.
This enables us to do something and do it very well.

These words were attributed to Archbishop Romero, a Latin American Roman Catholic bishop, shot whilst saying mass. He was shot for standing up for the poor and the downtrodden and standing up to the wealthy vested interests.

It may surprise you to know that I've been elected as a councillor and tonight was my first council meeting. Not for Barnet Council. I stood for the Pastoral Council of the Sacred Heart Church in Mill Hill. I was elected last week. I hadn't intended to stand, but I was asked if I would consider standing by Fr Kevin, our parish priest. The question for me was whether I could actually do anything useful for the people of Mill Hill. I'm probably not most peoples idea of a Pastoral Councillor. I can be hot headed, impulsive and brash. I love punk rock music and I play guitar in a full on rock and roll band. I laugh at the sort of jokes which make old ladies blush and I enjoy a good drink.

The thing is that for any organisation to work, you need a mix of people and talents. I have an agenda of sorts. Through my work with the YMCA for the Sound Skool project, I have become aware of a whole group of young people who are the children of people with chaotic lifestyles. Many of these young people could do great things, but they don't know where to start. They've had no encouragement and no help. Could I do something for these people? That was the question I had for myself. I discussed it with Fr Kevin and he said that he'd support any efforts we could make, so long as there was a proper program. This has now become a challenge.

Wheras before I was an individual working to sail against the wind, now I have a voice on an organisation which has a large membership and many people committed to the community as members. Jan, our chairperson stated that it we need to do something to commemorate the jubilee of the founder of the order which runs the Church, St Vincent. He dedicated his life to helping the desperate and the poor. I took it upon myself to write a paper on how we could help these local kids aged 14-18 to get into education training and employment. I know we can't solve everyones problems, or even most people. Even if we can only help a few, that is a start, that is the seed we sow.

I suspect that with this government, things will be harder for a lot of people and people of good will are going to be pushed to the limit.  It is the responsibility of all of us, at a grassroots level to do what we can within the structures available to us. Three months ago when I was campaigning to be a Lib Dem Councillor in Barnet, to kick the Tories out  (seems like a very long time ago now), I hadn't even thought of becoming involved with the Pastoral council. Now I'm extremely glad I have. I'm not paid for what I do and I feel there is a genuine opportunity to help those who really need it at a grassroots level. One of our members heard my suggestions and stated that it was vital if we do such things to work with other groups, churches and organisations to maximise the benefits. This re-affirmed my decision  to stand and my belief that I'd made a good decision. It is vitally important for all of us to work together across traditional boundaries. Another member stated that it would be nice to see more communities represented on our council. Again I totally agree with this. In his openening speech, Fr Kevin told us that our primary role was to work for the good of everyone else, to listen and to help.

I just wish that some of those elected to some of our public bodies had the same ethos. I just hope I can repay the faith that those who voted for me have shown by working hard to make Mill Hill a better place. I've always believed in the importance of communities, of helping each other. That is why I was proud to have been elected and that is why, whatever happens, I'll do my best.

1 comment:

Broadway Blogger said...

Fantastic. All the best with this. Sounds a great opportunity to develop something good.

Mill Hill has several churches and I hope that your "brief" can extend to helping all of them.

Something really positive.