Wednesday 30 June 2010

Lets celebrate the Karma World Cup

It all went so horribly wrong, didn't it? Cast your mind back to five minutes into the first game. Stephen Gerard had regally marched through the USA defence and scored a great goal after some superb interplay. Until Robert Green's awful slip, the USA didn't look remotely like constructing a decent chance, let alone score. The equaliser was a real hit and hope. As I contemplate the debacle, a thought occurred to me. Maybe it was the law of karma at work. The universe levelling up things and making up for a 44 year old wrong. Maybe we were always starred to meet Germany and get the worse of an awful decision where the ball crossed the line and the goal wasn't given. Maybe the universe thought they owed Germany something for the bias of a Russian linesman. In my book this means we're even. It got me to thinking about other footballing injustices. The most recent was Ireland being cheated out of a place in the finals by Theirry Henry and France. It seems to me that the the Karma was pretty instant there, with the French being despatched home at the first possible opportunity (some players even earlier). I then thought about the Italians winding up Zinadine Zidane in the last finals. Maybe there departure was payback for this.

There is still one outstanding debt to the universe. Maradona and the hand of God. I have this fantasy that England will thump Argentina 6 - 0 in the 2014 final at the Maracana. Every Brazilian will be an Englishman for the day. I don't want us to win by means foul. I just would like us to stuff them. I don't dislike Argentinians, I'd love to see Messi at Manchester City playing alongside Tevez. It's just Maradona. I can't stand the man

2 comments:

Broadway Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Broadway Blogger said...

I have been disappointed with the World Cup.

I think residents should go to Underhill and watch some real football and support their local team.

Good friendly atmosphere - easy to get to - great burgers and coffee - good football usually and no big crushes or difficult parking like around the Emirates/White hart lane.

Yes the lure of the small local club will be strong next season and that will be a KARMA moment as well from the "Fat Cats" of football who have been shown up to be rather poor this summer.