Wednesday 19 May 2010

An amusing conversation with a local resident about Potholes.

I was stopped as I got out of the car yesterday. It was a neighbour of mine, who lives at the posher end of my road. "You were standing for the council in the election, weren't you?" she asked. I responded "Yes, did you vote for me?". Her face screwed up "No, I always vote Conservative". She then continued "What are you going to do about the potholes outside my house?". I replied "You do know that I didn't get in?". She replied "Yes, of course I do, but what are you going to do about the potholes?". I replied "I'll give you John Hart, your local Conservative councillors telephone number and you can ask him to get it fixed. He won, he gets paid to do this". She wasn't having any of this "You will never get anywhere with an attitude like that". I felt a little explanation was required "Look, all I can do is ring he council to report it. John Hart is a councillor and he can follow  it through. You chose him because you felt he was the best man for the job". She then said "Look, you Lib Dems are better at sorting out local things, everyone in Mill Hill knows that". I then asked "So why didn't you vote for me?" She replied "Because I always vote Conservative". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Maybe I'll report it anyway later using the http://barnet.fixmystreet.com/ website. The hole needs mending. If they don't mend it maybe I'll ring John Hart and tell him off. I'd just remind everyone that if you don't actually vote for the bloke who you think will do the best job, you've only yourself to blame if nothing gets done.

1 comment:

ainelivia said...

Suppose we can cherish that admission that the Lib Dem councillors had both the expertise and the experience to sort out local matters. That is the truth and my experience. am looking forward to when and if our new councillor holds "surgeries" locally at the library.