Sunday 11 April 2010

What sort of a place is the London Borough of Barnet?

As I drink my Sunday Morning cup of tea, I was reflecting on what sort of a place we live in. In some ways, we are lucky to live in such a special place. Let me tell you about the day I had yesterday and explain why.

The day started with a trip to Hendon Reformed Synagogue for the Bar Mitzvah of one of my best friends sons. Harris is the middle son and was born on the same day as my daughter Lizzie. They are both a little bit mad in their own way. Whereas his elder brother Sam gave a serious, intelligent and thoughtful reflection when reading his Bar Mitzvah speech (sorry I don't know the correct term), Harris sought to entertain us (although being no less intelligent). Rabbi Simon Katz joined in, cracking a joke at his Dads expense. Harris sought to add dramatic effect to his bible reading, using his best Burt Lancaster voice for passage spoken by God. I've known Harris since he was a baby and I was proud of him. His Mum and Dad were beaming at his command performance. The Jewish community has a great sense of family and I felt honoured to attend such a celebration. It is the culmination of 18 months of hard work and helps young Jewish people find their identity, know who they are and grow into adults. I was made to feel welcome at the Synagogue and I must say that I also felt lucky to live in a place where I could attend such a joyous occasion without giving it a second thought.

After the service, it was off to my studio. A serious conversation ensued with a customer who was asking my opinion of the news that the Polish Prime minister had been killed in a plane crash visiting Katyn. This is the site of a massacre of Polish soldiers by the Soviet army in 1940. It seems that this sad place will occupy a further sad chapter in Polish history. Are some places just unlucky?

At six pm, I took myself down to the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church in Mill Hill for another joyous occasion. Whereas the celebration for Harris was celebrating someone starting out on adulthood, a ceremony was being held honouring three parishioners for a lifetime of dedication to the community and their hard work and service for it. One of the people being given this, Kay Lavelle, is the mum of an old friend of mine. Kay is a lovely lady, originally from Ireland. She is one of a team of people who keep the church running, doing all of the little background task that generally go unnoticed (and unthanked) in a large busy parish. She is a lovely person who will always pass the time of day with you. When I was a teenager, her house was one where there was an open door for all the local youngsters. Teas, lemonades and biscuits would be proferred, if you looked hungry a more substancial sandwich would miraculously appear. The house was always filled with young people coming and going and was always happy.

Although Kay still lives in Mill Hill, it was great to see the rest of the family, most of whom had moved away. It was also great to see a packed hall for the reception. Often such ceremonies and awards are given to "the great and the good". It was great to see such a ceremony for someone who thoroughly deserved it and would never have asked for it. One of the other recepients, Stella Vanek exclaimed "I can't believe it" when she received her award. I can and I was pleased to share in the day.

My last port of call was the Mill Hill Tandoori restaurant. A fine meal was had with my beloved wife. Mill Hill is blessed to have two fantastic Indian restaurants, in the Mill Hill Tandoori and the Day of the Raj. Both are run by hard working members of the Muslim community. Both of whom have become good friends over many years.

 As I contemplate my cup of tea, I thought to myself "How many places in the world would I attend a Bar Mitzvah, a Roman Catholic service of thanksgiving and then have a fine meal in a restaurant run by a Muslim friend and not think anything of any of it". Sadly the answer, even in the year 2010 is "Not enough places". Even in this country, there are places where the Jewish community, the Roman Catholic Community, The Irish Community and The Muslim community are viewed with fear and suspicion. Happily The London Borough of Barnet is not one of them. What sort of a place is the London Borough of Barnet? A place I'm proud to live in and a place where I feel very much at home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you roger for mentioning me in your blog see you soon from Harris
P.S Happy birthday Lizzie