Wednesday 21 April 2010

Sheltered Housing - more than just a political football

Yesterday I visited Moreton Close in Mill Hill. This is what we used to call sheltered housing. I had a cup of tea and a chat with the residents. Barnet Council got rid of their onsite warden 2 years ago. How does the new system work. Not very well. Recently the travelling warden who also looks after Derby House in Hendon was called at 7am. They turned up at 10.30am. When you are vulnerable and need assistance that is a hell of a long time to wait. The residents were keen to know the Lib Dems position on wardens. I explained we would keep them. I asked what they thought of the parties. They told me they were disgusted by the behaviour of MP's and the expenses scandal.

I asked what they thought of the Council. There was barely concealed outrage at the way the Council has behaved. Then I got a surprise. I asked what they thought of our local MP. They were outraged. It seems that two people had turned up from the local Labour party at 8.45pm on a recent evening. They had gained access to the building, circumventing the entryphone system and had started banging on doors. As residents never get people banging on doors at this time, it scared the life out of the residents. They were livid. They asked me to pass on the message to all parties and all canvassers that residents do not appreciate late night calls in this manner. They were happy to chat and pleased that someone was taking an interest. I was pleased to have a rather nice cup of tea on my travels.

There is a lesson for all of us in here. Sheltered housing is more than a political football. It is a fundamental lynchpin of peoples lives. In all the excitement of Nick Cleggs fine performance in the debate, lets not forget who we are doing this for and why we are doing it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

Nice comments . At the moment we are circulating all of the political candidates aspiring to be MPs with a blunt question asking for their pledge of support. The positive responses are being collated on the website
www.shelteredhousinguk.com and they will be updated daily

kind regards

Vernon Yarker
Chairman
The Sheltered Housing UK Association

Rog T said...

Vernon

Whatever happens with regards to the election, you will have my full 100% support

Rog