Monday 12 April 2010

Paying the price for a Barnet Conservative Campaign blunder

As I found out yesterday, to my cost, Politics isn't always fair. Yesterday, after a hard day knocking on doors I nipped down to Marks and Spencers to buy some bread and bagels for my breakfast this morning. As I surveyed the rather tasty selection of smoked salmon, I was approached by a rather cross looking lady. "You're standing for Council aren't you. I've seen your picture". I said "yes, how can I help?". She responded "Don't you stupid idiots realise that by leaving leaflets sticking out of letter boxes, you are advertising to burglars which houses are empty". Now as a former paperboy (many years ago), I know that this is something you don't do. I said "Yes, you are quite right. We tell our helpers to always ensure the leaflets are properly pushed through. Tell me which road you live in and I'll have  word". She replied telling me where. This rather puzzled me. I asked "When was the leaflet left?" She responded "at about 2pm". I happened to know that we weren't working on that road at that time.  I then asked "Was it a leaflet for the Lib Dems?". "No" she responded. "It was for the Conservatives".  She then told me how she was a neighbourhood watch co-ordinator and she was disgusted that we could be so stupid. 

Anyway, having reassurred he that I totally agreed with her and that I'd ensure all local Lib Dem leafletters got the message, she asked me what I was going to do about the Conservatives. Resisting the temptation to reply "Beat them in the election", I replied that I would write a blog to inform them that they should be more careful when delivering their leaflets and to show a bit more. She asked "Do people actually read your blog?" I replied "Oh Yes, especially our local Conservatives, I'm sure they'll take note".

No comments: