Friday 30 April 2010

Mill Hill Conservatives are getting a divorce !

I have had the best laugh of the campaign so far today. If you click on the Conservative Council Election leaflet on the right, it will enlarge to full size. This leaflet has two themes. One is that the Green Belt is safe with the Tories and the other is a profile of it's candidates. Guess what one of their candidates (one who doesn't live anywhere near Mill Hill) does for a living? He's chairman of a "property investment company". His interests include "preserving Mill Hill".  I'll let the readers of the Barnet Eye draw their own conclusions.

The other thing which is even funnier is the claim in the leaflet that Liberal Democrats are planning a 500 seat football stadium for Copthall. Which Liberal Democrats are these? We were canvassing in Mill Hill East when a resident showed us the leaflet. Given that the Tories control Barnet Council, surely any such plans would require their approval. I can say with 100% certainty that no Lib Dems in Mill Hill have even heard of these plans, let alone are leading the project as the leaflet says.

They must really be desperate if they have to come out with old tosh like this. Maybe they are trying to deflect attention for Boris Johnsons plans for 15 traveller sites in the Borough, which are rumoured to be on the Green Belt. It seems that the Local  Tories are getting a divorce. From reality.

Expect more of the same

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are my eyes deceiving me or is that an advert in an election leaflet for a dog walking service?

I see the Conservatives have paid for to *place* an advert in the Times Series papers, but I've never heard of *accepting* adverts in an election leaflet... !

Rog T said...

Dan

It's no coincidence. This blog has campaigned for regulation of dog walking services on Arrandene.

Mrs Angry said...

I think the allegation about the stadium is outrageous and you Libdems should make a formal complaint. On the other hand, if I were living in Mill Hill, I'd vote for John Hart now that I see he is a fluent linguist (always a bonus in my view) and likes trees. And what a moustache: you can't compete there either, can you?

Rog T said...

Funny that. John Hart told me that the secret of his success was that the ladies loved his moustache.

Most of the other Lib Dems were outraged. I just thought it was funny that they could come up with such crap. People keep telling me that it's a great idea, as they think that doing up Copthall is a great idea.

I think it's another own goal from the B team if you want my honest opinion

Crusty said...

Is it me or should there be a tree preservation order on John Hart's moustache?

Mrs Angry said...

Richard,if there were, some other Tory would come along in the middle of the night and shave it off in order to proceed with a controversial planning development ... Rog, about the moustache, - no, I was going to make a filthy joke, but I have restrained myself. The best of luck to you anyway, you deserve to win, it's evident that you really know and love your community and are prepared to work hard on its behalf and that is a quality that is so sadly lacking in both local and national politics now. There: you have Mrs Angry's endorsement, hope it's not the kiss of death!