Thursday 22 April 2010

Leading Barnet Tory attacks Barnet Council Parking Policy

One of the up and coming stars of the Barnet Conservative Party at the last Council election was Richard Millett. He stood for the Mill Hill ward and I whiled away many happy hours discussing the folly of his policies. Happily the people of Mill Hill agreed with me on this issue. Richard now writes a blog and it seems that he's coming around to sharing my views about the Tories at Barnet Council. He wrote a rather good piece on the scrooge like parking policies of the local Tories.

http://richardmillett.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/parking-meters-on-yom-tov/

Richard was rightly upset that Barnet Council traffic wardens turned Easter Sunday into a nice Cash earner. Like many local Jewish people, Richard takes a rather sensible view on other peoples religions and recognises that to many people, easter Sunday will be considered as a special day and that parking restrictions should be relaxed. He states :
Barnet Council’s denigration of this holy sabbath shows lack of sensitivity for the Christian religion, for Londoners and even, if they wanted the day off, the wardens themselves.
Richard sensibly goes on to state :-

Barnet Council’s denigration of this holy sabbath shows lack of sensitivity for the Christian religion, for Londoners and even, if they wanted the day off, the wardens themselves. Barnet Council should make Easter Sunday more holy next year by treating it like the bank holiday it feels and if they don’t then they need to erect big “Parking Meters operating today” signs - Easter Sunday; a good day to be a traffic warden.

I am not so sure about it being Barnet Councils job to make any day more holy, but I fully agree with Richards comments that the Parking Wardens of Barnet Council use such occasions to catch people out. It is clear to me that the practices of some parking wardens in Barnet has greatly upset many people. As Barnet Council earn huge sums from these practices, it seems pretty clear to me that there is a policy of maximising revenue.

It is crystal clear to me that if Barnet Council and the local police put a fraction of the effort they put into catching out motorists into dealing with anti social behaviour, graffiti, rogue traders, burglars and enforcing property development rules, then Barnet would be a much better place to live.

9 comments:

richard millett said...

"I whiled away many happy hours discussing the folly of his policies. Happily the people of Mill Hill agreed with me on this issue"

Ugh! How disingenuous of you! We doubled the Tory vote in that ward and the Libs lost a councillor after some 15 years of control in Mill Hill.

Rog T said...

Um Richard, sorry to break the news but you lost. I think you'll find that means the people of Mill Hill agreed with me.

richard millett said...

I never expected to win. We doubled the vote from a low base and dispatched one of your beloved councillors. Had we had enough time and resources, it not being a target seat, we would have dispatched the other two but that will hopefully happen this time, it now being a target seat. You really are clueless, aren't you?

Rog T said...

Yes Richard, you are quite right, I am completely clueless. I have heard all about your tactics and this insult is another part of what you consider "normal politics".

I have heard that all sorts of similar insults have been aimed at me on the doorstep. I take it that this is what you mean about targetting me.

If you think that the people of Mill Hill are impressed by members of political parties going around calling people such names, I think you are in for a rather nasty shock.

I am rather surprised by your need to throw insults, given that I wrote a post agreeing with you.

I seem to remember discussing the campaign in Mill Hill with yourself prior to the last council elections. I asked you if you thought you would win and you said most emphatically "Yes, people are sick of the Lib Dems in Mill Hill".

Are you telling me now that this was a porkie?

Don't Call Me Dave said...

It should be remembered that Mill Hill used to be a safe Conservative ward until, through complacency, they took their eye of the ball and allowed the LibDems in.

richard millett said...

Sorry, Roger, what "tactics" of mine are you referring to please? I haven't been on any doorsteps yet either so as for targeting you, what planet are you on! And I remember no dicussion with you and I don't even know who you are. Sorry for that. I obviously should know such an eminent person. And whether you agree with me or not, it is your total disingenuousness that is just so disagreeable.

Rog T said...

Richard,

Jane Ellison introduced you to me when you were canvassing outside Barclays Bank. You subesquently said "hello" to me on a number of occasions in Mill Hill. Clearly you don't remember people such as me who are mere plebs, even when they are introduced by mutual friends. Never mind, I'm really not offended.

You were the one who said you were "targeting Mill Hill". If you say this, how am I to know that you personally haven't bothered to get out and knock on doors.

I have many friends in Mill Hill who are locals who have told me of comments made to them by people canvassing for the Conservatives. "Clueless" is actually at the polite end. One of your canvassers even swore at my brother (who has no role in my campaign and is not a member of the Lib Dems) merely for being my sibling.

You may find me praising you disagreeable. I humbly apolgise for saying nice things in this blog about you. Sadly (for you) I won't be resorting to your preferred tactics.

I look forward to the next volley of insults.

richard millett said...

Roger, you aren't clueless obviously. It wasn't meant seriously but i apologise. Our chat, however, did take place four years ago and I would never ever consider anyone a pleb.

Want i meant was i haven't been canvassing this time round yet. Aggressive canvassing like you describe is just horrendous but having not been out and about yet I am not a part of it.

Good luck on May 6th. I hope you are the best placed of the Liberal Democrat candidates in 4th place
;-)

Richard Logue said...

Who's Richard Millett anyway? At least Rog has the big advantage of being well known in Mill Hill!

Roll on May 6th and watch the Tories get a pasting!