Thursday 15 October 2009

The Roundhouse

Of all the places in London to have a night out, my favourite is the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm. This may have something to do with the fact that the very first Punk Rock I ever saw happened there on 6th June 1977 (The Ramones, Talking Heads and The Saints). Then again maybe it doesn't. Tonight I was there to watch Echo and the Bunnymen. I thoroughly enjoyed the gig, they are a truly awesome band, but I kept turning over the question in my head "Why is an industrial shed built 150 years ago my favourite venue in the world".  I put this question to my friend Derek who is an award winning designer. He said that he thought that maybe constraining designers was actually beneficial. I really don't know. All of the buildings I like most in London The Roundhouse, St Pancras, etc, blend old & new. The most successful venue in the world is the 02 (formerly the Dome). I don't actually believe it works as a venue. It's too big and you are too detached from the band.

Sadly the economics of music mean that the O2 dwarfs the Roundhouse in financial terms. That is why the top bands play there. I'm off later this month to see Smokey Robinson at the Roundhouse as part of the BBC electric proms. I doubt there'll be a more enjoyable gig at the O2 in the next 10 years.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I too love the Roundhouse. I loved it way back when and I love it now. The refurbishment has been done really well, as you say, blending old with new.

It's one of my favourite venues in London. Smaller venues are always best.

carots said...

I haven't been there since the 70s but have fantastic memories. Those walls could tell some stories!!