Friday 5 June 2009

Who should you vote for?

Up at the pub this evening, one of my friends asked why I'd not posted a "Rog T says vote Labour" blog. They asked "Had I voted for another party".

I voted Labour, my wife voted Green. I voted Labour because I happen to believe in the ideals & founding principles of the Labour party. My wife voted Green because she cares passionately about the environment. Unlike 99% of politcal bloggers, I'm not going to tell you how to vote in elections. I assume that if you read this blog, you are reasonably well informed and care about the future of this country. If you think I'm horribly unfair to Mike Freer, Brian Coleman, Lynn Hillan et all, please make the effort to vote for them. If you think the Lib Dems are the only party that is an effective opposition in Barnet, vote for them. I'd be most happy if you vote Labour, but only if you've made a calm, informed choice and have decided they have the right policies.

We live in a liberal democracy. We all have the right to disagree. I don't agree with the Tories, but I know that they believe in democracy, so if they win, that's OK.

I trust the readers of this blog. I hope that even if you totally disagree with my politics, you enjoy it and get something positive out of my writings. We live in interestig times and I really don't have a clue how the Euro elections will turn out. I suspect that in 10 years time, we'll look back on these heady days as the days when politics were cleaned up. I think the Telegraph has done a huge service to the British public. As things stand at the moment, no party has really addressed the issue that we, the great unwashed British public care most about. We are incensed by troughing politicians. I am proud that the only Barnet Councillor to actually propose positive action against excessive expenses is Labour's Geoff Cooke. I am cheered by the fact that most of the Conservative voters I know also agree with Geoff Cooke.

Geoff is onto something. As I write this, Sky News is broadcasting statements from senior Labour MP's saying Gordon Brown is the right man for PM. Just as most Labour voters know this is complete rubbish, local Tories know that it is madness for Mike Freer, Lynn Hillan et all to oppose Geoff's proposals.

I would strongly urge everyone to vote. Make your own mind up as to who you want to vote for.

2 comments:

Don't Call Me Dave said...

Rog

It is important to vote to let politicians know our feelings, but there is no mechanism at present to make a positive abstention. You can stay at home and not vote but such a tactic can be interpreted in different ways.

We should have an option for “none of the above” on the ballot slip because that sends out a clear message to the parties which is unambiguous.

I would go so far as to suggest that if “none of the above” polled more than 50% of the vote, then the councillor/MP/MEP for that district could not take up his/her seat.

I think the days of voting for a party out of blind loyalty are coming to an end. Candidates must understand that they are answerable to the electorate and it will take more than a knock on the door once every 4/5 years to secure our support.

Rog T said...

David,

Barnet is a strange place to live, when deciding who to vote for. I suspect that we both have the same dilemma, but in a reversed manner.

ie The performance of Labour in Govt & Tories at the Council.

I'm not going to try and second guess the electorate. I just hope that whatever happens, the greedy troughers on all sides get the message. I won't hold my breath though.