Tuesday 2 June 2009

The Skiff Skats - Happy Times


One day, when I'm too old and too decrepid to do anything else, I'm going to write a book about the various bands on the Barnet/Mill Hill scene in the late 70's early 80's. I'm sure it will bring me and at least 6 or 7 other people a lot of pleasure.

One band which will certainly merit a chapter are the Skiff Skats. This cowpoke/rockabilly combo were lead by the notorious Smith Brothers, Pigmeat Pete on Guitar(who sadly passed away in 1999) and Rob on Banjo. They were part of a whole scene of turbocharged country tinged music. From this scene the most famous band are "The Pogues" featuring Shane McGowan, but for a time the Skiffs were real contenders.

Anyway, I just got an email from my old mate Rob Smith, who sent me a link to their brand new website. For those of you with a love of the local music scene, check it out :-
http://www.skiffskats.co.uk/

No comments: