Monday 4 May 2009

Arise Sir Richard Evans !


Sometimes we have dilemmas. We want to write things but we know they may have the reverse effect of what we were trying to achieve. In this case, that is the only consideration I had. I saw this piece on Conservative home, making the case for the last PPC for Hendon, Richard Evans, to be made a peer. There are 100 nominations and Richard is no 4. I should state that I know Richard, and as he's a nice guy, I'm biased, but the case made on Conservative Home blog is compelling.

In light of the recent reports of the current Hendon Tory PPC Matthew Offords stepping down as Barnet Tory deputy leader, I thought I'd do a quick google of Conservative activity in Hendon. I came across this and felt it was worthy of comment.

Richard is a very bright guy. He presumably could have had the pick of plum jobs in the private education sector, but chose to stay in the state sector. He is the deputy head in charge of finance at Copeland School. Conservative Home notes that the school has a 97% ethnic intake, which would seem to imply that it is a rather challenging environment. As such David Cameron would have access to someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

I know Richard from his involvement with the Mill Hill Music Festival. He helps out at various concerts and just gets on with whatever he is asked to in a quiet, efficient and unassuming manner. As such he certainly impressed me with his efforts. I believe in giving credit where it is due and it is certainly due in the case of Richard. I just hope my endorsement isn't the kiss of death for him.

2 comments:

Don't Call Me Dave said...

I know Richard very well and he is a thoroughly decent chap, even though he supports Chelsea! He would make a welcome addition to the Lords.

But I would be very careful using the words “Arise” to a politician. They get paid enough as it is!

Rog T said...

I really thought I should add a comment to this blog, since there has been much coverage in the press about Richard's suspension. I've clearly no idea whether there is any truth in the allegations. From what I know of Richard, I would be rather surprised.

I hope he's vindicated and I hope that the claims are shown to be without foundation.