Wednesday 22 April 2009

It seems you enjoyed Testicles for Dinner

I can always tell if I've done a good blog by the fact that people hunt me down and email me. The more bizarre the email, the better I think I've done. Thanks for the other recipes for cooking testicles. I'm sure that one day I'll find a use for them. As to the guy who suggested that the blog should concentrate on this type of subject more, I'm sure that there are plenty of people who'd tell you I serve up enough B*ll*cks here as it is !

Anyway, whilst on the subject of testicles, I thought I'd tell you a little story about my Dad. Back in the late 1940's he was a commercial pilot. He worked for a construction company called John Howard Ltd who were engaged in building oil facilities in the Middle East. One of his main jobs was to ferry around a director called Mr Hallam (who later became the govenor of Cyprus). Hallam was wined and dined and was a very important man. My father recounted how he was visiting one sheik and Hallam got served up a Rams eyeball as he was guest of honour. Hallam had to eat the delicacy or cause grave offence. As it was served My Dad quipped that he was lucky he wasn't so honoured. Hallam responded "Oh but you are", as the rams testicles appeard on a plate in front of my Dad.

My Dad had quite a gift for languages and spoke fluent Arabic. He said that the waiters passed a comment between themselves laughing at him. He interjected in Arabic "get me a Scotch and coke" quietly. As the meal was in a supposedly "dry" country, no alcohol was served, but my father knew that there was always a supply. As the waiters had insulted him, he knew that it would turn up rather sharply. He said that was the only thing that made it tolerable. Hallam was rather fed up that Dad didn't order him one as well when he found out.

2 comments:

kerstin said...

Funny story! But did he eat the testicle?

Rog T said...

Yup, more than his job was worth not to, as the saying goes !