Saturday 17 January 2009

The 10 best ever female vocal tracks

It's Saturday so here's the first in a series of posts detailing some of my most and least favourite things. I thought I'd start with a list of my fave girlie tracks.

1. I Love Rock N Roll - Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

2. Can The Can - Suzi Quattro


3. These Boots were made for Walking - Nancy Sinatra



4. Africa Morning - The False Dots


5. The Day the World Turned Dayglo - X-Ray Specs



6. Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire - Joni Mitchell
7. Save Me - Aretha Franklyn
8. Rip Her to Shreds - Blondie
9. Grafitti Limbo - Michelle Shocked
10. After the Goldrush - Prelude

Criteria for selection - These tracks all a changed the way I looked at music or were so good I couldn't stop listening to them or they had a deep impact on me.


Joan Jett - The best ever rock chick track. I always sing along to the chorus. It doesnt get any better.

Suzi - When I saw her do this on Top of the Pops, it was just like "Wow". I bought the single the next day and played it 100 times without interruption. My sister Caroline was driven nuts.

Nancy - I was about 4 when I first heard this. It must have deeply affected me because when I dug the clip out on YouTube it was like finding a gold nugget you'd buried. She was probably my first crush

Venessa Sagoe - She sung this on a demo we did. It still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Venessa was so good. It's not narcisism, she made the song

Poly Styrene - She was the Anti Star. It's a great song, really different. She was the first girl singer I admired solely for what she was and what she stood for. She's still great.

Joni - I love Joni & this is her best track. She is a brilliant singer, songwriter and person. Big Yellow Taxi was the first environmental anthem I ever listened to.

Aretha - The Saints (Aussie punk band) did this. We covered it with the Dots when we had the horn section. I'd never heard the original and then I saw it on a jukebox & thought "Should check this out". It blew my mind. I put it on 10 times in a row, until a skinhead came up and told me he'd kill me if I played it again.

Debbie Harry - My biggest crush ever. This song is so New York. It's great.

Michelle Shocked - Short, Sharp Shocked was my fave album the year it came out. This was the best track. She lost her way after it, but this song is just raw emotion.

Prelude - I just loved this track when it came out. I found the original 45 again of it a couple of weeks ago. Ended up playing it 6 times on the trot. I've no idea what it's about, but it sort of sounds like I imagine the angels in heaven sound as they sing while you climb the pearly stairway (I sincerely hope so anyway !!!!)

5 comments:

Duncan Macdonald said...

Rog - Great choices. I can't resist this. My favourite female vocals

1. Will You - Hazel O'Connor
2. Anything by Annie Haslam former lead singer of Renaissance
3. 11:59 - Blondie
4. Prison Trilogy - Joan Baez
5. A New England - Kirsty MaColl
6. The painted desert - 10,000 Maniacs
7. Bring me to life - Evanescence
8. Big yellow taxi - Joni Mitchell
9. Spellbound - Siouxsie and the Banshees
10. Left of center - Suzanna Vega

Don't Call Me Dave said...

Rog, How can you put the goddess Quatro at only number 2? I took down all my footy posters off the wall to make space for her! Can the Can is a great song, but not the best!

1. 48 Crash - Suzi Quatro

2. This is the life - Amy MacDonald

3. All I want to do is have some fun - Sheryl Crow

4. Rhiannon - Stevie Nicks / Fleetwood Mac

5. First time ever I saw your face - Roberta Flack

6. Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush (don’t ask me what the words are!)

7. Black Velvet - Allanah Myles

8. All I want to do - Ann Wilson (Heart)

9. China in your hand (Carol Decker / T’Pau)

10. Physical - Olivia Neutron Bomb (OK it’s the video!)

Don't Call Me Dave said...

BTW Duncan, my first job was in a recording studio. I was the refreshment consultant! Kirsty MacColl recorded an album there. Along with Mike Berry she was one of the few artists to treat junior staff with decency and respect. Taken too soon.

Rog T said...

Duncan & David,

I probably should have done a Top 20 & I guess Spellbound would be number 11 with possibly All I want to do is have some fun at 12. Kirsty would definately have been in there, but for the fact I think her greatest song is a duet - "Fairytale of New York". That would be top of my duets! Also restricted my picks to one per artist & also tried to have a 1 per genre of music I like.

As to Can the Can not being Suzi's best track. Musically possibly true, but her first appearence on Top of the Pops was singing it, and that was the moment the Trainset, football posters, Subbuteo etc went in the dustbin.

Interesting comment about Kirsty & how she was at the studio. Not the first time I heard that. She recorded some stuff with my old mate Boz Boorer & they became lifelong friends. She may also be top of my list of "they tragically died too young" - now that would be a list !!!!

Brian Coleman aka Mr Toad has GOT to go said...

You're no good - Betty Everett

Dedicated to Brian 'Mr Toad' Coleman @:
http://www.myspace.com/mr_toad_has_got_to_go