Monday 20 October 2008

The good news from Barnet

As it's Monday, I thought I'd bring you some good news to cheer you up for a change. Today I'm not going to moan about anyone. We've not had too much to celebrate, so I thought I'd share my private feelings on some good news. There is a report on the Edgware Times website that there have been no cases of hospital acquired MRSA in Barnet since July. They have also met their target of a 60% reduction in C.difficile infections. Now unlike much of what we discuss on these blogs, this really will make a difference.

I have quite strong feelings about Hospital born infections. A couple of years ago my now dearly departed mum broke her hip. It was touch and go whether she survived, but survive she did. Eventually she got well enough to be moved to Finchley memorial hospital for recuperation. All was going well until the hospital was hit by an outbreak of C.diff. The scene that greeted me was like a scene from hell, when the infection took hold. Walking into the ward, you were hit by the smell. Nurses were running around, curtains were drawn around many beds. The nurses couldn't get the bedpans to the beds quickly enough and many of the poor old dears were not getting them in time. My mum was one of many who had gone in hoping to get better but were struck. Unlike some, she recovered. My sister, who is a nurse, stayed with her throughout and we got her home as soon as we could. I am convinced that having her own personal nurse got her through the problems and gave her another couple of years of life. She had a couple more trips to France with the family, a couple more Christmas Dinners. A couple more Grandchildren got married. She saw my daughter's 5 gold medals, won at the ASA National swimming championships as well as her BAGCAT winner's trophy. All the things a grandma would want to do.

Sad thing is that because of C.Diff, plenty of old ladies didn't. A 60% drop is good, but lets now set the bar even higher. Lets aim for complete eradication. What really annoys me is when I go to Barnet General hospital to visit and I see people walk into wards (and out again) without using the alcohol gel. This is stupid dangerous and irresponsible. You could kill your loved ones or yourself. I wonder how many people have lost a loved one for want of a quick squirt of antiseptic gel on their hands. This is one thing we can all help with. Please remember to use these.

1 comment:

valblog said...

Soap & effective handwashing are still more germicidally effective than alcohol rub. The duration and method are vital. 3 mins followed by paper towel dry then avoid recontamination by touching communal places eg taps, doorhandles- use the paper towel. If this sounds too muh it may explain why the spread of hospital acquired infections have sky-rocketed.